GS1 Australia Subscription Membership and Licence Agreement
Effective 1 June 2021
Download Terms and Conditions PDF
1. Membership and Grant of Licence
1.1 You are hereby accepted as, and Your Licence Application constitutes an application to be, a subscriber member of GS1 Australia.
1.2 GS1 Australia grants You a non-exclusive non-transferable licence to use the GS1 system solely for the Authorised Uses.
The Licence and these terms and conditions come into effect for You on the date on which GS1 Australia notifies You of its acceptance of Your Licence Application and continues for the duration of the current financial year (1st July - 30th June) or until terminated as provided in clause 12.0. It will be renewed annually subject to Your compliance with this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement including payment of the annual Fee.
3.1 You must pay the Fee to GS1 Australia annually in advance within 30 days of the date of GS1 Australia’s invoice.
3.2 GS1 Australia may, from time to time, increase the Fee by written notice. Publication of the increased Fee on GS1 Australia’s website shall constitute written notice of such increase. Your continued use of the GS1 system after such notice shall constitute acceptance of such increase.
3.3 You agree to provide a declaration as to Your Turnover (using such form as may be specified by GS1 Australia from time to time) upon renewal or as requested by GS1 Australia from time to time from You. You acknowledge that GS1 Australia may obtain Your Turnover information from, or verify Your Turnover information with, third parties in accordance with clause 11.6 and GS1 Australia may, in its sole discretion, use this Turnover information to assess or re- assess the Fees payable by You.
3.4 Where Items bearing GS1 Identification Keys allocated to You are already in the supply chain at the time this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement is terminated, notwithstanding such termination, You will remain liable for a fee equivalent to the then current Fee on a pro-rata basis for the period that those Items continue to be in the supply chain beyond any annual period for which a Fee has already been paid. You must pay such pro-rata fee within 30 days of the date of GS1 Australia’s invoice in respect of such fee.
3.5 If You are overdue in payment of any amount, GS1 Australia reserves the right to:
- a) charge an administration fee for any overdue amount at the rate of fifty Australian dollars ($50.00) (exclusive of GST) plus all costs and expenses incurred by its mercantile agents in respect of anything instituted or being considered against You as a liquidated sum (which You hereby acknowledge is a genuine pre-estimate of the costs of GS1 Australia in collecting such amount), together with interest calculated at a rate equivalent to two percent (2%) higher than the rate for the time being fixed under Section 2 of the Penalty Interest Rates Act 1983 (Vic) from (and including) the date the payment was due until (but excluding) the date it is received in full (together with administration fees and interest); and
- b) remove access to the number issuance and management service.
3.6 GS1 Australia reserves the right to charge a fee in relation to bank processing charges imposed on GS1 Australia in respect of payments for this agreement.
4. GST and Other Taxes
4.1 All amounts payable under this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement are exclusive of GST.
4.2 If a party making a supply under this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement (the ‘Supplier’):
- a) is liable to pay GST on that supply; and
- b) the fee or charge stated in this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement for that supply does not expressly include GST, then the party receiving the supply must pay the Supplier an additional amount equal to the consideration payable for the supply multiplied by the prevailing GST rate.
4.3 GS1 Australia will issue a tax invoice to You for the Fee.
4.4 You must pay all other taxes imposed in Australia in respect of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement.
5.0 Your Obligations
5.1 You must:
- a) not at any time during the term of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement, or after its termination, do or omit to do anything whereby GS1 Australia’s goodwill, trade or business may be prejudicially affected or brought into disrepute;
- b) comply with the standards set out in the GS1 manuals, guidelines and such other directions in relation to use of the GS1 ID Keys and Authorised GS1 Data Carriers, as GS1 Australia may give from time to time. For avoidance of doubt, this means that You must ensure all GS1 ID Keys, Authorised GS1 Data Carriers and related Content comply with the Validation and Allocation Rules as specified in the GS1 Standards whether or not You assigned the GS1 ID Keys to any Items and regardless of whether they are still in circulation or not;
- c) agree to be bound by the applicable GS1 Terms of Trade published on the GS1 Australia website; and
- d) comply with any regulations, standards or number allocation rules enforced by regulatory bodies that are impacted by Your use of the GS1 ID Keys.
5.2 In the event GS1 Australia makes available a number issuance and management service:
- a) when using that service, it is Your responsibility to maintain Your GS1 ID Key assignation and related data accurately and in a timely fashion;
- b) subscribers who joined on or after 10th October 2020 must use the number issuance and management service, where the functionality exists, to assign GS1 ID Keys to Items and populate required associated Item data, including the provision of Content relating to those Items;
- c) when available, such date being publicly communicated via the GS1 Australia website, subscribers who joined prior to 10th October 2020 must use the number issuance and management service, where the functionality exists, to assign additional GS1 ID Keys to Items and populate required associated Item data, including the provision of Content relating to those Items; and
- d) when available, such date being publicly communicated via the GS1 Australia website, subscribers who joined prior to 10th October must use the number issuance and management service, where the functionality exists, to assign GS1 ID Keys allocated prior to 10th October 2020 to Items and populate required associated Item data, including the provision of Content relating to those Items.
5.3 Without limiting any other provision of these terms and conditions and unless otherwise specified by GS1 Australia expressly in writing, You are solely responsible for providing, reviewing, checking, maintaining and updating all Content in relation to Your Items and You represent and warrant that:
- a) all Content in relation to Your Items:
- i. originates from, is authorised, or is approved by You;
- ii. complies with all applicable laws;
- iii. is correct, accurate, complete or suitable for the intended purpose and that any inaccurate, incomplete, or out-of-date Content will be updated or otherwise removed by You as soon as practicable;
- iv. does not infringe GS1 Australia’s or any third party’s intellectual property rights;
- v. is not defamatory, harassing or obscene;
- vi. is not illegal, fraudulent, misleading or deceptive or likely to mislead or deceive persons assessing or viewing the Content;
- vii. does not contain any virus, trojan, worm or similar deleterious programs; and
- viii. meets all the requirements in the GS1 Standards (or requirements for Content specified in the GS1 Standards); and
- b) You have obtained all necessary licences from third parties in relation to Your Content.
5.4 GS1 Australia may, at any time, without any liability to You, remove any Content which it reasonably regards as likely to be in, or cause a, breach of these terms and conditions (including, without limitation, any warranty in clause 5.3 or any other provision of these terms and conditions) by You.
5.5 You represent and warrant to GS1 Australia that You own, or are entitled to use, all intellectual property rights in Your Content and that You have the right to grant GS1 Australia the licence referred to in clause 5.6. Where Your Content contains any material in which any third party has intellectual property rights, You warrant to GS1 Australia that You have the right to grant GS1 Australia the licence referred to in clause 5.6 or You must procure a licence from that third party to GS1 Australia in substantially the same terms.
5.6 You grant to GS1 Australia a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable and royalty free licence (with a right to sub-license GS1 International and other GS1 Member Organisations) to use, reproduce and adapt Your Content for the purposes of providing the GS1 system and otherwise complying with its obligations under these terms and conditions.
5.7 To assist in authentication of GS1 ID Keys still in circulation, You:
- a) must, on request, provide to GS1 Australia details of all GS1 ID Keys allocated to You that have been assigned by You, or for or on behalf of You;
- b) must, on request, provide to GS1 Australia details of all GS1 ID Keys, (whether or not allocated to You) and Authorised GS1 Data Carriers that You have processed; and
- c) recognise GS1 Australia’s right to authenticate GS1 ID Keys, whether still in circulation or not, through checking with GS1 International and GS1 International services, relevant regulatory bodies, and/or any services provided by third parties, through the sharing of basic data and Content with or by access to those services.
5.8 You represent and warrant to GS1 Australia that Your Licence Application is true, accurate and complete, in every particular
6.0 Use of GS1 Identification Keys and Authorised GS1 Data Carriers and other Intellectual Property
- a) may use only GS1 Identification Keys for the Authorised Uses;
- b) must not apply, assign or allocate any GS1 Identification Keys allocated by GS1 Australia, GS1 International and other GS1 Member Organisations to any other person (Issued Company) in respect of an Item or thing to identify, track or trace any Item or thing other than that Issued Company’s Item or thing;
- c) must not use any numbers that copy (in whole or in part) any numbers comprised in the GS1 system or that are similar in appearance so as to confuse, or to be likely to confuse, persons that the numbers are associated with in any way the GS1 system;
- d) must only assign the GS1 Identification Keys allocated to You in respect of Your Items;
- e) must not alter any GS1 Identification Keys in any way;
- f) recognise GS1 Australia’s title to the GS1 Identification Keys, Authorised GS1 Data Carriers and the GS1 system and related intellectual property and must not at any time do, assist any other person to do, or allow to be done, any act or thing which may in any way invalidate, challenge, contest or impair GS1 Australia’s rights in regards to GS1 Identification Keys, Authorised GS1 Data Carriers and the GS1 system or related intellectual property;
- g) must only assign GS1 Identification Keys in accordance with Your Membership Subscription Type as follows:
- i. If Your Membership Subscription Type is “Individual Barcode Numbers (GTINs)” then You are restricted to GS1 Identification Keys allocated to You as single numbers, or single numbers in blocks, for use as GTINs regardless of currency of number;
- ii. If Your Membership Subscription Type is “Full” then You are restricted to assigning GS1 Identification Keys from the GS1 Company Prefixes allocated to You as well as any individual GS1 Identification Keys otherwise uniquely allocated to You in the case of an upgrade;
- iii. If Your Membership Subscription Type is “Global Location Number” then You are restricted to GS1 Identification Keys allocated to You as single numbers, or single numbers in blocks, for use as GLNs regardless of currency of number;
- iv. If Your Membership Subscription Type is “Individual Hospital” then You are restricted to assigning GS1 Identification Keys from the GS1 Company Prefixes allocated to You as well as any individual GS1 Identification Keys otherwise uniquely allocated to You in the case of an upgrade;
- v. If Your Membership Subscription Type is “Service Only” then You are not able to assign GS1 Identification Keys allocated to You;
- vi. For all Membership Subscription Types other than “Service Only”, You are able to licence, with payment of appropriate fees, additional GS1 Identification Keys allocated to You as single numbers or single numbers in block for use as GTINs or single numbers in blocks for use as GLNs regardless of currency of number;
- h) In the case of upgrading or downgrading Membership Subscription Types, or transferring GS1 Identification Keys across Membership Subscription Types, any allocated GS1 Identification Keys must be only used in the manner provided for by the original subscription;
- i) must not permit or procure anyone else to apply, assign or allocate the GS1 Identification Keys or Electronic Product Codes (if applicable) allocated to You to anything (other than to Items being trade items manufactured by or for You under contract);
- j) must ensure that the Items bear all proprietary notices that GS1 Australia may require from time to time;
- k) must not sell, transfer or assign (or attempt to sell, transfer or assign) the GS1 Identification Keys allocated to You by GS1 Australia; and
- l) irrevocably consent to GS1 Australia using and sharing Content about Your Items as part of the GS1 system, sharing Content about Your Items with data recipients participating in the GS1 system, sharing Content about Your Items with regulatory bodies on request, and sharing Content about Your Items with other GS1 Australia, GS1 International and other GS1 Member Organisation services such as, but not limited to, services provided within the GS1 Registry Platform and GEPIR which are shared with data recipients participating in the GS1 system. For the avoidance of doubt, if You provide any URL or other Content about Your Items, You irrevocably consent to GS1 Australia providing that URL or other Content to members of the public generally using mobile applications or other devices such as, but not limited to, those that interface with GS1’s Digital Link service. If You are an individual or sole trader You have the right to be de-identified upon request.
7.0 Third Party Service Provider’s obligations
7.1 This clause 7.0 applies to You only if You are a Third Party Service Provider acting on behalf of a licensed user of the GS1 system (“Your Customer”).
7.2Without limiting any other provision of these terms and conditions and unless otherwise specified by GS1 Australia in writing, You are solely responsible for:
- a) obtaining necessary authority from Your Customers to act on their behalf and providing evidence of such authority to GS1 Australia on request;
- b) obtaining all necessary licences from Your Customers in relation to Your use of their Content;
- c) complying with all Your Customers’ obligations under these terms and conditions in respect of their use of the GS1 system and provision of their Content when acting on Your Customers’ behalf (as if any reference to You and Your Content in these terms and conditions were a reference to Your Customers and Your Customers’ Content); and
- d) complying with all applicable laws in relation to Your use of Your Customer’s Content.
7.3 You acknowledge that GS1 Australia is not party to any transaction between You, Your Customers or otherwise in relation to Your use of Your Customer’s Content and that GS1 Australia has no responsibility:
- a) for ensuring the correctness, accuracy, completeness or suitability for intended purpose of any Content; or
- b) with respect to any transaction itself (including any claim or dispute relating to that transaction).
7.4 You acknowledge that Your access to, or use of, Your Customer’s Content may be suspended, without liability to GS1 Australia, at any time:
- a) by Your Customer for any reason; or
- b) by GS1 Australia for any reason including, without limitation, if all third parties for whom You act have been suspended or terminated.
GS1 Australia will attempt to notify You of any such suspension but will not be liable to You if it does not do so.
8.0 Use of Trademarks for Marketing/Promotion
With GS1 Australia’s prior written consent, You may use the GS1 Australia Trademarks for marketing and promotion of the Items. You must ensure that the Trademarks are reproduced only in accordance with the manner, form and other guidelines specified to You by GS1 Australia from time to time.
9.1 You agree to indemnify and keep indemnified GS1 Australia against all claims, suits, losses, damages or costs suffered or incurred by GS1 Australia as a result of Your conduct, Your use of the GS1 ID Keys, or Authorised GS1 Australia Data Carriers, or any breach of these terms and conditions by You (including, without limitation, any representation or warranty by You (except to the extent caused by GS1 Australia’s negligence or wilful misconduct).
9.2 You agree to indemnify and keep indemnified GS1 Australia, GS1 International and any other GS1 Member Organisation from any claims, suits, losses, damages or costs suffered or incurred by them (including reasonable legal fees and costs) arising from or in connection with any action, claim, demand or proceeding by a third party relating to, resulting from or arising out of any allegation that use, publication or distribution of Your Content infringes any intellectual property rights of any person, any contravention or alleged contravention of applicable laws by You or otherwise any allegation that any Content has been provided in breach of any representations or warranties in these terms and conditions.
10.0 Limitation of Liability
10.1 To the maximum extent permitted by law:
- a) all terms, conditions and warranties which would otherwise be implied into this contract are excluded; and
- b) where any implied term may not be excluded, GS1 Australia limits the liability for breach of that term to the resupply or payment of the cost of resupply of the relevant services.
10.2 To the fullest extent permitted by law, GS1 Australia excludes all liability (whether arising in negligence, breach of contract or breach of any law) in connection with this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement for any indirect or consequential loss or damage, including lost profits and revenue.
10.3 To the fullest extent permitted by law, GS1 Australia’s total liability to You for loss or damage of any kind arising out of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement which is not excluded by clause 10.2 is limited, for any and all claims, to the total Fee paid during the 12 month period prior to the relevant liability accruing.
10.4 You acknowledge that you are solely liable for the Content provided to GS1 Australia pursuant to these terms and conditions. To the fullest extent permitted by law, You are solely liable for loss or damage of any kind (including, without limitation, actual, direct, consequential, indirect, incidental or punitive loss or damages, even if advised of the possibility of such loss or damage) relating to or arising out of any third party’s use of the Content provided by You.
11.0 Privacy and Confidentiality
11.1 GS1 Australia’s commitment to privacy is set out in the ‘Privacy Statement’ (available at www.gs1au.org). You acknowledge that You have read and understood the Privacy Statement and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in accordance with the Privacy Statement.
11.2 If You are an individual or sole trader company, You can request that Your personal information is to be kept private wherever possible, such notice being given through the mechanism provided in this Subscription Membership and Licence Agreement or through advice delivered in writing.
11.3You acknowledge that, whilst individuals may unsubscribe from certain communications, one (1) individual must be nominated at all times to receive communications from GS1 Australia in relation to Your subscription membership (including, without limitation, GS1 Australia’s newsletter to subscriber members).
11.4 Both parties must always keep confidential and secure and not use or disclose any information of the other party that is identified as, or would reasonably be expected to be, proprietary, confidential or commercially sensitive except as permitted by this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement. Each party must only disclose that information:
- a) to the extent necessary to perform their obligations under this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement and on a ‘need-to- know’ basis only;
- b) if the other party authorises it in writing; or
- c) as required by law.
11.5 You agree that GS1 Australia may make any inquiries it deems necessary to investigate Your creditworthiness including undertaking inquiries with financial institutions, credit reporting agencies, any personal credit and/ or consumer credit information providers (“Sources”). You authorise the Sources to disclose any information concerning Your creditworthiness in its possession to GS1 Australia. You agree that GS1 Australia may disclose any information in its possession concerning Your credit worthiness to the Sources (including, without limitation, information as to whether You are in default of payment of any Fees).
11.6 You agree that GS1 Australia may make inquiries of third parties (including the Sources) to obtain Your Turnover to determine the Fees applicable to You and to verify any Turnover information provided by You and otherwise Your compliance with this Subscription Membership and Licence Agreement
12.1In the event that You, the licensee, elect to terminate this Agreement for any reason, a request for termination must be advised on a standard GS1 Australia Termination of Subscription Membership & Service Notification Form, or copy thereof, signed by an authorised representative of your organisation. Non payment of subscription membership fees is not recognised as a proper request to terminate.
12.2 In its discretion, GS1 Australia may terminate this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement immediately by giving notice if:
- a) You fail to pay any Fee by its due date;
- b) You commit a breach of Your obligations under this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement;
- c) You are declared bankrupt, go into liquidation, have a receiver or other controller appointed, or (being a company) are wound up otherwise than for the purpose of a reconstruction; or
- d) the GS1 Master Australian Licence is terminated or GS1 Australia otherwise ceases to hold the necessary licence rights to allocate GS1 Identification Keys or Electronic Product Codes in Australia.
12.3 In any other circumstances:
- a) GS1 Australia may terminate this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement by giving six months written notice to You;
- b) You may terminate this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement by giving one month written notice to GS1 Australia on a standard GS1 Australia Termination of Subscription Membership & Service Notification Form, or copy thereof, signed by an authorised representative of your organisation.
12.4 Termination of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement does not relieve either GS1 Australia or You from liability arising from any prior breach of the terms of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement. For the avoidance of doubt, termination does not relieve you from your obligations regarding payment of any outstanding fees for this subscription membership and licence.
13.0 Consequences of Termination
13.1 On termination of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement, Your rights under this Licence Agreement terminate and You must:
- a) immediately cease assigning the GS1 Identification Keys, Electronic Product Codes (if applicable) and Authorised GS1 Data Carriers to any of Your Items from the termination date; and
- b) within 7 days, pay to GS1 Australia all amounts due to GS1 Australia under this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement at the termination date.
13.2 You are not entitled to any rebate or refund of the Fee or any other fees or charges paid under this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement, unless this Agreement expressly states otherwise.
13.3On termination of this Subscription Membership and Licence Agreement, GS1 Australia has the right to reallocate the GS1 Identification Keys and Electronic Product Codes to GS1 Australia or another organisation in accordance with the GS1 Allocation Rules.
13.4 Notwithstanding termination of this Agreement, GS1 Australia may retain the Content provided by You pursuant to these terms and conditions and the licence granted under clause 5.6 of these terms and conditions shall survive termination. Any Content so retained will be marked in the GS1 system as longer updated. You may, at any time, request in writing to GS1 Australia that the Content be no longer so shown, save that You acknowledge that the Content will be retained (but not shown) in the GS1 system for data integrity and archival purposes.
13.5The termination or breach of this Agreement does not affect those provisions, which by their nature survive termination, including clause 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 5.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 13.0, 17.0 and 18.0.
13.6 On termination or breach of this Agreement for any reason (including, without limit, the non payment of fees payable hereunder) You expressly authorise and allow GS1 Australia to make reasonable enquiries with third parties (including, without limit, retailers) to ascertain whether You are acting in breach of this Agreement and, in particular, clause 13.1 hereof.
14.0 Regulatory Requirements for Medical Products
14.1 You understand that GS1 Australia is a GS1 Member Organisation of GS1 International which has been accredited by certain regulatory agencies as an issuer of UDIs and in that capacity both are subject to certain regulatory obligation such as, but not limited to, reporting of companies that use the GS1 Standards for unique identification of medical devices.
14.2 You understand that when You use a GS1 ID Key such as a GTIN to identify an Item that may be characterised as a medical device under the laws of the country where such product is marketed (‘Medical Device’), the following rules shall apply:
- a) upon making Your Licence Application, You must inform GS1 Australia if a GS1 ID Key will be used to identify a Medical Device and in which country the related product will be marketed;
- b) You are, and shall at all times remain, responsible for the information about the Medical Device provided by You to GS1 Australia and for compliance with any applicable regulatory obligations and shall ensure any information provided to GS1 Australia is accurate and up to date at all times;
- c) GS1 Australia may monitor correct implementation of the GS1 Standards by You;
- d) In the event GS1 Australia identifies a UDI Deficiency, GS1 Australia may inform You in writing (addressed to Your usual contact person) of such UDI Deficiency, suggesting a way to correct the UDI Deficiency and requiring You to correct such UDI Deficiency within 90 calendar days from the date of the notification (the ‘UDI Correction Period’);
- e) GS1 Australia may monitor whether You have corrected a UDI Deficiency within the UDI Correction Period. Failing such correction, at the latest eight (8) calendar days after expiry of the UDI Correction Period, GS1 Australia may contact You again and seek to amicably resolve the UDI Deficiency;
- f) If the UDI Deficiency is not corrected within an additional period of 90 days from the expiry of the UDI Correction Period and pertains to a repeated and/or deliberate misuse of the GS1 Standards related to UDI, GS1 International, working with GS1 Australia, may inform the relevant regulator and modify the use (including suspension and revocation) of the GS1 ID Key for UDI implementation in the relevant jurisdiction, as a follow-up action taken in cooperation with the relevant regulator; and
- g) You acknowledge and agree that GS1 Australia must, in the context of its regulatory obligations, share certain information with the relevant regulators either directly or via GS1 International, including without limitation the fact that You use GS1 ID Keys to identify Medical Devices marketed in the regulator’s country, the GS1 ID Key, the name of Your company, as well as any identified and uncorrected UDI Deficiencies. You understand that neither GS1 Australia nor GS1 International may be held liable for any direct or indirect consequences, losses or damages resulting from GS1 Australia and/or GS1 International providing such information to a regulator.
15.1 You, or an appropriate member of Your staff, are required to attend an initial basic training session to familiarise Yourself with the GS1 system, such training can be delivered face to face, via virtual webinars or by online self-paced learning at GS1 Australia’s discretion. If the initial basic training is attended within 12 months of the date the subscription membership was granted then it will be provided free of charge for one participant.
You may elect to attend other training courses and sessions, attendance at which may attract fees and charges.
16.1 All notices and other communications in connection with this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement:
- a) must be in writing; and
- b) take effect from the time they are received unless a later time is specified.
16.2 If sent by registered post, notices and other communications are taken to be received the day after posting (or seven days after posting if sent to or from a place outside Australia).
16.3 If sent by facsimile or email, notices and other communications are taken to be received at the time shown in the facsimile or email transmission report at the time that the whole communication was sent.
16.4 Notices for You will be sent to the address specified on Your Licence Application (or such other address as You may notify GS1 Australia of from time to time).
16.5 Notices for GS1 Australia must be sent to Customer Service
at GS1 Australia’s address as notified to You from time to time.
16.6 It is Your responsibility to ensure that notices sent to You by email are able to be received by the intended recipient, i.e., are not blocked, bounced or to sent to offline folders.
17.0 General Provisions
17.1 This Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement constitutes the entire agreement of the parties about its subject matter and supersedes all previous agreements, understandings and negotiations on that subject matter.
17.2This Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement is governed by the law in force in the State of Victoria. Each party submits to the non- exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of that place.
17.3 A provision of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement or a right created under it may not be waived except in writing, signed by the party giving the waiver.
17.4 GS1 Australia may vary the terms and conditions of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement at any time by providing not less than one (1) month’s written notice to You. Publication of amended terms and conditions of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement on GS1 Australia’s website shall constitute written notice to You. Any such variation notified by GS1 Australia takes effect immediately after such notice period (unless a later date is specified in the notice). If You do not accept the variation to the terms and conditions, You may terminate this Agreement by written notice to GS1 Australia at any time prior to such variation taking effect. Your continued use of the GS1 system after such notice shall constitute acceptance of these amended terms and conditions.
17.5 You must not assign, transfer or sublicense Your rights or obligations under the Licence or this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement generally without the prior written consent of GS1 Australia. GS1 Australia may require, as a condition to its consent to any transfer of Your rights under the Licence, the provision to GS1 Australia of a completed and signed transfer form in respect of the transfer of rights, in such form as may be required by GS1 Australia from time to time.
17.6 GS1 Australia may offer Additional Products and Services, for which we may charge You additional fees and charges (in addition to the Fee) and which will be subject to separate terms and conditions.
17.7 If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unlawful, invalid, unenforceable or in conflict with any rule of law, statute, ordinance or regulation it must be read down so that is valid and enforceable (or, if it cannot be so read down, severed) so that the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions are not affected.
These meanings apply to this Agreement unless the contrary intention appears:
‘Additional Products and Services
’ means all products and services provided by GS1 Australia other than the GS1 system, including, without limitation, all training, testing, consultancy and data synchronisation services (such as the National Product Catalogue [‘NPC’
] or SmartMedia).
’ or ‘Allocate
’ means the process by which GS1 Numbers are issued and/or registered by GS1 Australia to You.
’ or ‘Assign
’ means the process by which You, or GS1 Australia, assign or relate the GS1 Numbers Allocated to You to Your Items.
‘Authorised GS1 Data Carriers
’ means data carriers designed to carry the GS1 Identification Keys and other attribute information in a machine readable form and includes two dimensional and three dimensional Barcode Symbols and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags.
means use in Your ordinary business operations in connection with the identification, tracking and tracing of Items at any point in the supply chain. For this agreement the Authorised Use is restricted to the use of allocated GS1 Identification Keys applicable to Your Membership Subscription Type as defined on the GS1 Australia website
’ means the GS1 Data Carriers designed to carry the GS1 Identification Keys and other attribute information in a machine readable form.
’ means the text, images, data (including associated weblinks) and other material relating to Items provided by You to GS1 Australia.
’ means the fee for subscription membership payable annually by You to GS1 Australia specified in the Licence Application (as varied from time to time according to clause 3.2) and available on the GS1 Australia website.
’ means GS1 Australia Limited ABN 67 005 529 920, a company limited by guarantee.
’ means GS1 association international sans but lucratif, a company incorporated in Belgium.
‘GS1 Master Australian Licence
’ means the exclusive licence granted by GS1 International to GS1 Australia to allocate GS1 Identification Keys in Australia.
‘GS1 Member Organisations
’ means members of GS1 International and which includes GS1 Australia and ‘GS1 Member Organisation
’ has a corresponding meaning.
‘GS1 Identification (ID) Keys
’ or ‘GS1 ID Keys’
or ‘GS1 Numbers
’ means, in respect of a subscriber member of GS1 Australia, the GS1 Company Prefix and associated range of GS1 Identification numbers, and individual keys assigned by GS1 Australia, that are allocated to that member by GS1 Australia in accordance with the GS1 Master Australian Licence and any additional related information issued to that member by GS1 Australia in accordance with the GS1 system’s technical standards, regardless of how they are encoded in data carriers.
’ means any and all standards, guidelines and rules relating to the GS1 system (as may be implemented, amended or replaced by GS1 Australia or GS1 International from time to time) and includes, without limitation, the following (as may be implemented, amended or replaced from time to time):
- the GS1 General Specifications, and in particular Section 4 of this document, available at https://www.gs1.org/barcodes-epcrfid-id-keys/gs1-general-specifications;
- the GDSN Standards, available at https://www.gs1.org/standards/gdsn/current-standard;
- the GTIN Standard, available at https://www.gs1.org/sites/default/files/docs/barcodes/GS1_GTIN_Management_Standard.pdf;
- all other standards, guidelines, rules specified at https://www.gs1.org/docs/Detailed_Log_website_posting.pdf;
- all implementation guidelines, technical specifications and other information relating to the foregoing published from time to time on GS1 International’s website at www.gs1.org; and
- all implementation guidelines, technical specifications and other information relating to the foregoing published from time to time on GS1 Australia’s website.
- the system of issuing or allocating GS1 Identification Keys and Barcode Symbols in accordance with the GS1 Master Australian Licence;
- the system of issuing or allocating Electronic Product Codes; and
- electronic business messaging systems, but expressly excludes all Additional Products and Services.
’ means the tax imposed by the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999 (Cth) and the related imposition Acts of the Commonwealth.
’ means a trade item, process, service, shipment, asset, entity, location or other objects.
’ means the licence granted by GS1 Australia to You to use the GS1 Identification Keys under clause 1.0 of this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement.
’ means the application whereby You applied to be allocated GS1 Identification Keys to which this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement relates.
‘Membership Subscription Type’
means the type of membership subscription that You have subscribed to either initially when joining or by upgrade or downgrade during the term of the subscription. The Membership Subscription Type determines how many GS1 ID Keys are able to be allocated to You and what type of GS1 ID Keys You can apply to Your Items.
‘Subscription Membership & Licence Agreemen
t’ means this Subscription Membership & Licence Agreement.
‘Third Party Service Provider
’ means a party authorised by You to apply for or manage GS1 ID Keys and to manage the provision and sharing of Content for the purposes of this Agreement.
’ means the trademarks associated with GS1 Australia and/or the GS1 system.
’ means the Australian based revenue, for a twelve month period, of your organisation including all related subsidiary entities in which you have a majority interest, regardless of the number of products or objects utilising the GS1 system.
’ means a misconstruction of the UDI, a mismatch between the name of the company holding the license for the GS1 ID Key and the company using the GS1 ID Key or any other inaccurate, incomplete or outdated information related to the UDI.
‘Unique Device Identifier
’ or ‘UDI
” means a GS1 ID Key such as a GTIN used for unique identification of a medical device.
‘Validation and Allocation Rules
’ means the GS1 Standards relating to validation and assignation of GS1 ID Keys (as may be implemented, amended or replaced by GS1 Australia or GS1 International from time to time) and includes, without limitation:
- Section 4 of the GS1 General Specifications, available at https://www.gs1.org/barcodes-epcrfid-id-keys/gs1-general-specifications
- the GTIN Management Standard, available at https://www.gs1.org/sites/default/files/docs/barcodes/GS1_GTIN_Management_Standard.pdf;
- all implementation guidelines, technical specifications and other information available at https://www.gs1.org/1/gtinrules//en/; and
- all implementation guidelines, technical specifications and other information relating to the foregoing published from time to time on GS1 Australia’s website
’ means the individual, company, corporation or other legal entity named in the Licence Application. ‘Your
’ has a corresponding meaning.