Steps to Implementation
This page is for companies that are about to start the implementation of GS1 DataBar. It will help identify what needs to be done to successfully implement and benefit from GS1DataBar.
Step 1: Appoint a GS1 DataBar Point of Contact/Leader
- The first step is to appoint someone to lead a GS1 DataBar Program and add their name as a point of contact.
Step 2: Raise Awareness
- Gather as much information as you need to support engaging internally with the relevant people. Senior management support will be needed, but also areas such as your IT department, scanner suppliers, users of the scanners should all be included in the planning of your GS1 DataBar upgrade. Contact GS1 Australia to assist you in your training needs, business case development.
Step 3: Assess Current Situation
- Look across your operations to assess the current state of readiness.
- You will need to work with your vendors in this assessment as there are variables. For example, you may have a 'GS1 DataBar Capable Scanner' that has not been activated or a scanner that only needs a software upgrade but where no new hardware is required
- You also need to look at all systems related to possible areas of deployment including meat and produce scale/printers, self check-out lanes, portable data collection equipment, and price-look-up stands
- If your equipment is not ready or upgradeable, see where you are in the lifecycle of the equipment so you can advise management of what to specify before purchase orders for new systems are firmed up
Step 4: Develop Internal Priorities for Deployment
- Your company will look to use GS1 DataBar where it makes the most sense first. It appears the first area will be fresh produce and meat, but look into this a little further as you may find other specific priorities. For example: in the US, retailers are looking to GS1 DataBar as a near term solution to their coupon systems
Step 5: Work with GS1 Australia to develop a solid GS1 DataBar Implementation Plan
- Remember the first priority is to know of any area where a buying decision for hardware or software might be impacted by GS1 DataBar adoption as these purchases are meant to last for years
- GS1 Australia has been working with retailers since 2006 to increase GS1 DataBar awareness. GS1 Australia provides education and training workshops, and can assist your company with GS1 DataBar implementation. For further information on planned education and training workshops click here.